Sunday, February 19, 2006

Making memories

No heat at church today. Room temperature hovered around 56 degrees in the sanctuary. Burrrrrr! We gutted it out at the 8:00 a.m. service. I told folks, “There’s bad news and good news. Bad news is it’s not very warm here this morning. The good news is we’re saving on fuel, plus my hot air should warm the place shortly.”

Our poor sexton tried to call the heat system company. No one was around. But it was the weekend, a President’s Day weekend no less.

So the second service came around and the temperature was still dropping. We moved the service down to the Fellowship Room where it was much warmer. Some of the older folks, because of the cold, had already left due to the chill.

Somehow we pulled together, setting up everything we needed- the communion elements, a reading stand, an electronic piano. God bless our music minister, Patti. It’s tough to adjust the musical environment like that, going from organ to electronic piano. But she didn’t skip a beat.

Meanwhile, I had to give my good news, bad news speech for the second time. Then I added, “We’re making memories. This isn’t an ordinary service. The chill forced us downstairs. That’s okay because we won’t forget this worship.” And it was wonderful. Our guest soloist did an awesome job.

Then I shared my sermon based on Mark 2. It featured the four friends who dropped their Paralyzed Pal through the roof to meet the Healer, Jesus, focusing on how insane they were to bust a hole through the ceiling. I reminded everyone of my New Year's resolution not to try to be normal anymore. I said that what the four friends did was not normal, but it demonstrated awesome faith. Jesus responded to their faith by forgiving their Paralyzed Pal and eventually curing him. I concluded, "Don't be normal, instead be crazy for Jesus."

Next we moved to the highlight- we received Christ- his body and blood, given in, with and under the bread and wine. As folks left the communion line, I had arranged four friends, just like four friends in the Gospel story, to be my healing ministry team. They anointed folks with oil, laid hands on their heads, and prayed for healing in the name of Jesus, the Great Physician. We were making memories!

Afterwards, we had a luncheon in that very same Fellowship Room. The food was delicious! You can tell our kitchen crew I was bragging on them.

I really appreciated folks “going with the flow.” In the end, it was beautiful, gathering in Jesus’ name, receiving God’s forgiveness, feeling the Spirit’s healing touch, and being sent on our way to spread the good news of the Almighty’s love for everyone.

There you have it. More stumbling and bumbling in the duh-sciple lifestyle, yet Jesus blessed us. We were making memories.

Thank ya, see ya, love ya, Tim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home