Monday, February 20, 2006

The Power of One

Here's what I'm posting for our March, 2006 newsletter:

In my teens and into my early twenties I wanted to change the world. But I quickly discovered that was too tough, too big a challenge.

When I graduated from college and later from seminary, by this time I was 28, I thought I might make a difference in the church. I soon found out that churches resist change, and even though I was now a pastor, I didn’t have all the answers.

Then someone told me a joke, “How many Lutherans does it take to change a light bulb? Change?! Change! But we’ve always done it this way!” I realized I couldn’t change the church. Apparently, I needed to downsize my dreams.

So I turned to my family. If I could only help them to get their acts together, then I would have accomplished something. Guess what? No luck. [Thank goodness for their sake.] I discovered that changing them was also outside of my control.

Now I’m in my forties. According to the DNA of Relationships, with God’s help, I have the power of one. I stretch out my arms, making a circle by grasping my hands. That is my circle of control. The world, the church, and my family are not in my circle of control. I’m the only one in that circle. I don’t have the power to change you, but with the power of the Holy Spirit, I can change.

It took me almost 47 years to figure this out. I’m the only one in my circle of control. Yet even changing me is impossible without the power of God. As we begin the Lenten journey with its disciplines of fasting, prayer, and giving to the poor, I will remember who is in my circle of control. May the Almighty help me to become the person He created me to be.

Thank ya, love ya, see ya, Pastor Tim [the Duh-sciple]

1 Comments:

Blogger Matt Lenahan said...

Bonhoeffer says, "Thus this spiritual love will speak to Christ about a brother more than to a brother about Christ. It knows that the most direct way to others is always through prayer to Christ and that love of other's is wholly dependent on the truth in Christ." -Life together, p. 37. Our power to change others relies on Christ, who changes each one by the Holy Spirit.
Welcome to the blogger community Tim. Hope you're doing well down in Paradise. Blessed Lent.

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home