Sunday, April 09, 2006

The longer we're Christians



Funny thing about Jesus. He hung out with all the wrong people. Partied with them. Ate with them. Drank with them. Accepted them without judging them. Slowly, over them, he transformed them.

These days many Christians seem to prefer their isolated ghettos. I once said hello to a prayer group that was meeting at our church. Just a handful of women. I asked whether they were inviting others to join them. Their response, "This group is only for mature Christians!" I thought, "Okay... I know where I don't belong. This group is for the mature Christians. See ya."

That's how the ghetto gets created.

Over against this, Jesus encourages us to make all kinds of friends. Just accept people and love them. Because over time- accepted people, accept people- and loved people, love people.

So if you've been a follower of Jesus for a long time, I give you permission to make non-Christian friends. More than my blessing, I say... Go for it. Don't worry if they're mature or not. Who knows? They may get a taste of Christ's love through you.

Blessings,

Duh-sciple Tim



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home